A subwoofer is a speaker that's designed to reproduce bass. They cover the lower end range of frequencies that smaller speakers struggle with (6.5", 6" x 9", and etc). A component sub can add a level of power and sound to your music that other speakers cant reproduce. It's one of the necessities to a well-rounded car stereo. Add one of the best car subwoofers to your stereo and you'll wonder how you listened to music without one.
Here is a list of 2017's top rated and reviewed 8, 10, 12 and 15 inch subwoofers to help you choose the best products for your car's stereo.
Best Car Subwoofers 2017 | Top 7
|Our Rank||Car Subwoofer||Sizes Offered||Impedance (ohms)||Power Handling||Price|
|1.||JL Audio W7AE-3||8" | 10" | 12" | 13"||Single 4 Ohm||RMS: 500 - 1500 Watts||$$$$|
|2.||Hertz Hi Energy HX||10" | 12" | 15"||Dual 4 Ohm||RMS: 450 - 700 Watts||$$$|
|3.||JL Audio W6V3||10" | 12"||Single 4 Ohm||RMS: 600 Watts||$$$|
|4.||Alpine Type R||8" | 10" | 12" | 15"||Dual 2 Ohm||RMS: 350 - 1000 Watts||$|
|5.||Polk Audio MM||8" | 10" | 12" | 15"||Dual 4 Ohm||RMS: 250 - 425 Watts||$$|
|6.||Rockford Fosgate Power T0||10" | 12" | 15"||Dual 4 Ohm||RMS: 550 - 800 Watts||$$$|
|7.||MTX 55||10" | 12" | 15"||Dual 2 Ohm||400 Watts||$$|
Just like when choosing a , when choosing the car subwoofer to fit your needs, you have to ask yourself, “What kind of bass am I looking for?” The best subwoofer isn’t always the biggest. Different sizes of subwoofers respond and produce different sound to different music. Finding the right match for your music preferences is key. Let’s talk about the different sizes of subwoofers and what kind of sound they emit.
- 8″ Subwoofers – The smaller the woofer the faster, more responsive and punchier it is. An 8″ woofer can keep up with faster paced music. Heavy rock, double bass and fast paced electronic are great candidates for an 8" sub. It’s a great choice for those who enjoy soft and light bass. An 8 inch subwoofer is one that compliments a system rather than overwhelming it. If you like very heavy and loud bass, this might not be the ideal choice for you.
- 10″ Subwoofers – 10’s are very common. They are the most well-rounded and safest choice for a subwoofer on the market. The 10″ can keep up with fast paced music while creating a respectable amount of bass. They are good for fast paced music, and also good with heavier bass music. Rap, rock, club music, you name it. The 10" subwoofer will cover it all. But if you’re looking for big bass, you may have to double up with the 10″ to get the volume you want.
- 12″ Subwoofers – If you listen to a wide variety of music but enjoy heavy bass, a 12″ subwoofer is for you. The 12″ sub is the most common in the marketplace today. This is because they are so universal. They're great for pretty much all types of music, produce a heavy bass and cover a deeper range of frequencies. They won’t keep up with fast paced music such as heavy rock or metal as well as the 10″. But, it will sound great for all varieties of music, especially rap, electronic, club and pop.
- 15″ Subwoofers – 15" subwoofers aren't a common size sub. They're not a great solution to the everyday music listener either. But, if you are looking for ear bleeding bass then you are in the right category.
To sum up, when choosing a sub for your car or vehicle, you need consider a number of things. To start, the level of music you want to listen to, type of music, and confinements of the location. 8″ subwoofers are great for leveling out a sound system while a 15″ will wake the neighbors. Your safest bet is the 10″ or 12″ subwoofer.
Remember, all of the top-rated subwoofers require an awesome amplifier. Check out all of the Best Car Amplifiers, and the Best Subwoofer Amplifiers for information on choosing an amplifier that'll meet the specs of your subwoofer.
How We Tested
m-segment.ru considered a number of factors when assembling our top list. We've researched and combined several reviews across the industry with first-hand tests. And we've personally tested subwoofers in the field. There are many criteria that we consider when rating and reviewing each car sub, including:
- Style (Looks, Design)
- Sound (Clarity, Loudness)
- Features (Cooling, Cone Design, Basket, Proprietary Technology, etc)
- Power Ratings (Peak, RMS)
- Quality (Materials used, manufacturer, etc)
- Online Reviews (From multiple vendors such as , , and more)
The result from our in-depth research and internal testing is a list of the top rated car subwoofers. And in addition to our list products, we also provide price comparisons from vendors to try to get you the best price. But in the end, the best car subwoofer is one that meets your specific needs and is compatible with your car.
If you'd rather buy an all-in-one powered subwoofer, take a look at all of m-segment.ru's Best Powered Subwoofers. You'll find a list of great subwoofers that have an amplifier already built in!
Here's a great starter video that runs through the key points to choosing a car subwoofer: